Delightful, Delicious Gluten- and Dairy-Free Dishes

Though eating gluten-free and dairy-free was initially a challenge it is getting easier and more exciting. I think this shift is because I've had to become more creative and resourceful and seek out new stores and products. If one rises to the challenge then it will not be a burden but rather become an adventure!

You'll have to give up fast food and other mediocre restaurants though...one time I almost cried because I was so hungry and after a lengthy discussion with the waiter in order to find something I could eat they kept messing up my order....urgh! Anyhow...on to lovelier things: Cook and bake yourself and you have absolute control over what you ingest...plus a lot of fun!

Here are some dishes I had recently at home which were reallllly good...and healthy and contained nothing I'm allergic to!

Firstly, rice is my best friend! Rice cakes, rice cereal and just plain old wonderful rice. Rice with fish=one of the easiest and healthiest and yummiest meals you could eat! Remember, you can bake frozen fish without defrosting it too, so don't worry if you forgot to take it out...and both your rice and fish will be done in about 20 minutes (unless to make super hearty brown or wild rice at least). BUT...add this salad to it and you will be inhaling your dinner off your plate like a starving cat! (well, I can at least say that for myself and my cat... :)

All this SALAD is:

1 head of Green Leaf Lettuce
1 handful of Dried Cranberries
1 or 2 handfuls of Nuts and Seeds (I used Peacans, Pumkin Seeds and Pine Nuts)

For the DRESSING (I'm guessing here, i encourage you to play around with it and find the proportions you like):

1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsps of Lemon or Lime Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
1 generous pinch of Herbamare (a really awesome vegetable seasoning salt)
1 or 2 Cloves of Garlic
1 tsp of Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp of Hot Dijon Mustard
1 dash of Chili Powder or Cayenne Pepper

 I also recently discovered "cultured almond," a dairy free alternative to yogurt. The almond variety has a nice texture. I also tried cultured cocoanut milk but it looked too much like cocanut oil and I couldn't get  over that! With this Erewhon crispy cereal (which is looks and feels like the Kellogg's version), raspberries and a drizzle of maple syrup it made an awesome parfait. I certainly thought I was eating real yogurt!


Just discovered this light and airy version of crispy rice.



Comments

Panits said…
This is great, Em! <3 The salad dressing sounds fantastic. I hope to try making it myself soon! :)

Ani

Popular posts from this blog

The Sound of Silence

Though I Walk Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death...

March Forth!