Favorite Filmmakers

I was inspired to make a list of my favourite movie directors. Here are my top 10, plus a couple honourable mentions, counting down:

**************************************

Honourable Mention I~ James Cameron 

Yes Avatar, The Terminator and Titanic were films of epic proporitons and don't get me wrong I think they're great. My favourite Cameron movie is probably The Abyss though, slightly less epic, though it still is, and more suspensy (to make up a word) and more hauntingly  sci-fi  yet more human somehow...


Honourable Mention II ~ Sofia Coppola

I don't know a lot of her work but I did enjoy Lost in Translation and loved, loved, loved, Marie Antoinette. Her portrayal of the French Queen is poignant, creative and dazzling. The young Antoinette is shown to be a troubled person rather than an evil one. Her rock star escapist life style is amazing eye candy yet not too different than the quintessential teenager, except multiply that by 100!

   

10~ Ridley Scott

Epic! Gladiator, Alien, Blade Runner and, my personal favourite, Kingdom of Heaven, all show case Scott's talent of creating and bringing the onlooker into a world so different from their own. His movies are a unique and powerful experience for anyone who braves their sight. 
 

9 ~ Andy Tennant

A name I wasn't familiar with until recently, until I realized he was behind the creation of two of my all time favourite romantic movies: Ever After: A Cinderella Story and, the lesser known but wonderful, Fools Rush In. His other films include Anna and the King, Hitch and, most recently The Bounty Hunter. I haven`t seen Tennet`s newer work but the Older ones mentioned just bring back so many memories for me that I can`t ignore him.
 

8 ~  Don Bluth


Two movies I wanted to marry as a child were Titan A.E. and Anastasia. I still love these Don Bluth films as well as his others such as The Secret of NIMH and The Land Before Time.

 

7 ~ George Lucas

Two words: STAR WARS. He created the most epic Space Opera Saga ever conceived! Unfortunately, I can`t say I admire Lucas for much else though.


6 ~ Steven Spielburg

Probably the most recognizable name on the list. I'm not really following his stuff these days either but some of his classics are my favourite films and many memorable movie moments: Indianna Jones, Jurassic Park, and Minority Report to name a few.



5 ~ Peter Jackson

"What wonderous days are these, in which myth and legend spring forth from the turf before our very eyes!?" ~Eomir to Aragorn, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jackson's love for the (yes, in my opinion "THE") English Language's best Fantasy book is evident in his film adaptation. Let's just say the fact that the final installment in the triolgy won the most Oscars ever (tied with Titanic)is not something to sneeze at. And I am soooo excited for The Hobbit and another row of Christmases when you can't wait to go to the Theatre!



4 ~ Wes Anderson

His unique style is enchanting. Anderson's The Royal Tennanbaums, The Life Aquatic, The Darjeeling Limited and Fantastic Mr. Fox are so intensely Human without a drop of convention.Here is the trailer for his newest creation, which I eagerly want to see:


3 ~ Terrence Malick

I haven't seen of Malick's work but his The New World is one of my favourite films ever. His Tree of Life is outstanding as well. I describe his style as "visual poetry." Perhaps it's not for everyone but being a visual person and one that takes spirituality seriously his films touch some part of my soul that is not often reached!

 

2 ~ Brad Bird

He brought us the Iron Giant. He brought us Ratatouille. He brought us The Incredibles. He is incredible in bringing us some of our most loveable cultural icons!

 

1 ~ Hayao Miyazaki

From the first drop of a rainstorm kissing a stone to the dance of soot blown from a furnace to the wind moving though the tree tops enlivened by a child's vision into a cat bus! There is no such thing as a Miyazaki movie I didn't like. He captures something in his animation that seems more alive than reality. Disney has done a fine job at dubbing these masterpieces in English as well, so don't worry, you don't have to put up with subtitles to fully enjoy them! And though they all bear his signature style he offers so much variety: from the mythical Princess Mononoke to the Fantastical Howl's Moving Castle to the more down to earth, yet whimsical Porco Rosso.


*****
FIN
*****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, The Weather Inside is Frightful (PART I)

Though I Walk Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death...

March Forth!