Monday, November 11, 2013

The Sound of Silence

I found an adoration chapel with perpetual adoration at Yonge and Steeles. I'm so excited because I have been craving spending more time alone, in peaceful reflection, in refreshing prayer, with Jesus...and now I can go right after work any day of the week!

When I went for the first time to this little chapel last week, I found it hard to concentrate at first, but I tried to really surrender this and started by meditating on a decade of the Rosary. I chose the wedding at Cana, where Mary says "Do whatever He tells you." I knew I really just had to pray about God's will and allowing whatever that is for me. (My boyfriend and I had just been talking about God's will the night before...it was mostly me ranting about how I don't get it. How are you supposed to know what God is telling you?)

After the decade I read over the daily readings and really got a sense of the importance of hoping, for waiting on God and keeping joyful. I realized that is how God is our strength. By not giving up hope we persevere and believe God will not abandon us, He will and is working wonders and His goodness penetrates all of creation more than any discouragement or disappointment or defect ever could!

"I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong  and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" ~Psalm 27

I realized how important it is to continually spend time with Jesus to be prepared for the battle of life. It is important to be docile to His Spirit and wait on Him as a soldier would on the word of his commander (in this case, a perfect and all-loving commander, so how could we go wrong listening to His command!?).

I still don't know exactly how God talks to me, but I know that the only way is to keep talking and listening to Him. It is a process, an adventure, it unfolds as it develops,by investing the time, just like getting to know anybody else.


Adoration of the Child by Gerard van Honthorst c. 1620


No comments: