Friday, September 26, 2014

Thankful Thursday

Did you look up today, at the crystal clear azure sky? Did you see the squirrels playing tag up and down the oaks? Did you feel the warm sun moderated by the autumn breeze? Did you feel truly happy?

I have dubbed this day of the week "Thankful Thursday." It is fitting because somehow I always seem to have a tough time on Thursdays. So combatting the temptation to grumpiness with gratitude is fitting. Also, being near the end of week, it is a good time for me to reflect on all that went right over the last several days. Friday brings it's own joy of weekend anticipation, but Thursday needs a little something. A little dash of gratitude.

A little goes a long way. Just like opening a door a crack can let in a mighty ray of light, all we need to do is open up a little bit to the good. The result is nothing short of miraculous. Noticing one little good thing, can lead to noticing another amazing thing, and another awe inspiring thing, and then some absolutely mind-blowing, miraculous, epic things. I believe that we don't have to go searching for excitement, fun or happiness. We just have to find them already existing in our midst, closer than we realized. This process could be called many things: a change of heart, softening a hardened heart, an eye opening moment, a conversion, stopping to smell the roses... In any case, we are all in desperate need to experience this refocusing action. Constantly. Constant and deepening conversion of heart. That is what life is about, this "Way of Trust and Love." In his so named book, subtitled "A Retreat Guided by St. Therese of Lisieux", author Jacques Philippe summarizes this very point, that lies at the heart of St. Therese's revolutionary spirituality:
"What is the little conversion, the door that opens to let in the Holy Spirit? For if we make it, God's grace will visit us and touch us in the depths of our being.
"I am convinced that many of us will receive new strength from God. The door through which this strength enters us is the "yes" we say to our Lord to something he asks of us - something perhaps very small..."
I know God has blessed me abundantly, because he loves me unconditionally, whether I realize it or not. Today I was blessed to take in the natural splendour as I walked home, I was inspired to bake delicious "paleo" carrot muffins, I persevered at work and stayed on task, I found a lovely coloured sweater on sale that actually had long enough sleeves. This week a client brought me a card and wine out of gratitude; I saw a breath-taking sunrise from my high-rise office on one of my early morning starts; I finally made a nearly perfect batch of all natural, home-made lip balm; I became involved in an exciting program called "Alpha" that is all about fun, friends and faith-finding. Right now I am listening to epic movie sound tracks, enjoying my freshly baked muffins, and I am excited to be inspired to write and I realize I am always surrounded by beautiful things that have the power to become incredibly inspiring, if i just say "yes."






No comments: